Gua Zhang is a mind / body practice which embodies the living principles
of the I Ching or Book of Changes.
As soft as Tai-Chi, Ba Gua has a more aerobic quality which changes
continuously and rapidly in ever more complex spiralling motions.
This art creates a tremendously strong yet supple body, developing
an infinite variety of changes in movement, energy and angle.
Ba Gua creates vortexes of energy. By the awareness generated through
practice one learns to live as part of change itself; to let go
of restrictive movement, sensation and thought and so merge with
that which does not change - the real nature of your mind.
Through the energetic practices comes in time the ability to manifest
strength for health and self-defence.
This system of Ba Gua Zhang comes from the original Beijing Ba Gua
of Ba Gua Zhang‘s basic training involves:
- Straight line walking for balance
- Moving alignments
- Circle walking exercises
- Coiling and twisting actions in the soft tissue, tendons and
muscles of the body.
There are eight physical movement
sequences taught, each one corresponding to one of the eight trigrams
of the I-Ching, (Book of Changes)
- A superlative sense of balance
- The ability to physically change direction and energy rapidly
- Peripheral awareness enhancement
- Redirection of force
- Learning of angles, fulcrums and energy changes
- Unpredictable body motion
- The alleviation and reversal of arthritic conditions
- The ability to go with the flow and adapt to changing
conditions and environment